Thursday, November 26, 2009

My Favorite Thanksgiving 2003

My Favorite Thanksgiving 2003

Alex and I went to Richmond that year to celebrate Thanksgiving with Julian in his awesomely shabby chic Monument Avenue balcony apartment. Having given up cooking I decided to take them out for a lovely buffet at a lovely restaurant. There was no plan here but rather we were just going to go out and ride around and find one and be happy with it. Time passed. Nothing open. Not one. Up an down Broad Street and thereabouts until finally it was decided that the only sensible thing to do was to go to Krispy Kreme because it was open and the neon sign was telling us hot doughnuts were up and ready.

So we went through the drive-through and ordered two dozen doughnuts and went back to the apartment and that was our Thanksgiving dinner. Best time ever – we spent the time with each other, enjoying one another’s company, which is what it is supposed to be about anyway.

After the sugar-induced coma wore off sometime late afternoon, one of Julian’s friends, Annie, came up and I decided to do a little experiment. The reason for the experiment was that “The Da Vinci Code” was lying on the sofa and hot to be read and I wanted some quiet. So I gave each of them $100 dollars to go to Wal-Mart (this was during Mr. Greenspan’s “Irrational Exuberance” period, so I irrationally did this.) There were no strings attached, just go to Wal-Mart and spend the money. Well, actually I did suggest that there could be some thoughts about doing something nice for a child who would not have a good Christmas without their benevolence.

Several hours passed and I was speed-reading Da Vinci with a vengeance. Then they returned. What an interesting choice of spending patterns they displayed.

End of Part One

No comments: